Thursday 11 November 2010

Model of new Routemaster London bus unveiled

Model of new Routemaster London bus unveiled

A few months ago I blogged the news that the winning design for the new London Routemaster bus had been chosen and now I'm pleased to see that a full-size mock-up has been built prior to the vehicle's introduction in 2012. I think it looks even better in the metal (well, wood really for this model - although it wouldn't be a bad idea to feature some in the interior, eh what?) but then to be frank after those godawful bendy monstrosities anything's an improvement. Still, my high hopes for this 21st Century Routemaster have been given another boost from reading this story.

Say what you like about Mayor Boris Johnson's politics and persona, but I'm heartened to note that he can see the real benefits of combining nostalgia with modern technology, reusing and perhaps improving on tried-and-tested features and taking them into the 2010s and beyond. I look forward to two years from now when - barring delays - I will able to travel around London on these new buses. That's not something I could ever say about the previous Routemaster "replacements"!

4 comments:

  1. Is that an open back I spy? How glorious, if it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed! Hop on and off as you like:

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/london/hi/people_and_places/newsid_9180000/9180067.stm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still don't really understand why there needs to be a door at the front and in the middle if you have the traditional open back. Hmmm. Well, nothing is going to beat the old ones, but its nice to see it return in one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the two extra doors are for disabled/pushchair access and to speed up the boarding/alighting process.

    I miss the old 'uns too, but I think that this is as close as we can get to the spirit of the original.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there, type something! I enjoy reading all friendly and positive comments.

Followers

Popular Posts