Monday 1 November 2010

Home linked to P G Wodehouse's Blandings Castle up for sale

Home linked to P G Wodehouse's Blandings Castle up for sale

P. G. Wodehouse is one of my favourite authors and although I have to admit that I gravitate more towards the Jeeves stories I was still interested in this article about Apley House in Shropshire, which some Wodehousians believe served as the inspiration for Blandings Castle - the setting of one of Plum's other great series.

Now comes the news that, following recent renovation it is now for sale for the princely sum of £1¾ million pounds(!). As the former president of the UK Wodehouse society is quoted as saying in the article - "for fans of Wodehouse wanting to imitate the life of an aristocrat, this house would do very well indeed". Quite! Although less of the "imitating" and more "living", eh what?! Of course, a million-and-some oncers is far outside your humble scribe's purse so I suppose I shall just have to carry on being like Bertie Wooster where I am now.

Of course, if money were no object my ideal house would undoubtedly be Sir Edwin Lutyens' turn-of-the-century masterpiece Marsh Court, in my ancestral county of Hampshire (below). It only went for about £11,000,000 a couple of years ago...

4 comments:

  1. I like the second house. The first one looks like you'd need a map to find your way to the sitting room

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Apley Hall looks nice enough albeit a trifle too modern inside for my tastes but Marsh Court is something else! I still have the brochure I downloaded from the agents, which I look at sometimes and dream...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in London recently and caught a tv show on Marsh Court. Inside and out, what a lovely place. I wish we could have visited there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i lived in Marsh Court ! !

    it was a prep school for a number of years after the war - dormitories named after the wild beasts Johnson (owner) had shot in Africa - hence Rhino, Widebeeest, Geranouk , Eland etc etc

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there, type something! I enjoy reading all friendly and positive comments.

Followers

Popular Posts