Saturday 20 November 2010

Britain’s tea rooms are on the way back

Britain’s tea rooms are on the way back

The B.B.C. is running a wonderful series at the moment called Turn Back Time - The High Street, which I know many of my British-based readers have been watching as avidly as I. One of the shops is a traditional bakery which, in recent episodes, has also included a tea room. It was splendid to see how the public took to and thoroughly enjoyed the experience of using such an establishment and judging by the programme and now this article from my local 'paper, we could be on the verge of a tea room renaissance!

Of the two mentioned in the article I am only familiar with Squires in Rayleigh (above), which is as delightful as it looks; Louis & Oscar's Patisserie in Billericay has only recently opened - I will have to make a visit and sample its wares.

If Essex can embrace the tea-room (!) then there should be no difficulty in the whole country once again enjoying a cup of afternoon tea in the high street. It's a lovely treat to be able to take some time out from one's shopping and have a refreshing cuppa and is the direct (and welcome) antithesis to all the ghastly fast-food chains that seem all-pervading. Perhaps the balance is about to be redressed!

7 comments:

  1. I have noticed that no less than three patisseries have opened up in Canterbury in as many months. Let's bring back tea drinking in a dainty cup and saucer with a cucumber sandwich and a shortbread biscuit on the side, and get shot of some of the numerous 'coffee' shop chains that have dominated in recent years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could not agree more! Lets give the coffee houses a run for their money!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only saw the 1930s episode of the program and it shed some light on why society moved to more convenience foods. The family of the bakery had to work really hard for each penny.

    Totally agree with Lady Cherry! Byebye papercups with 43 tastes to choose from. Too much of a concept. Just a proper cup of tea, that used to be one of the great pleasures visiting Britain.
    I still fantasise about my tea and cherry pie I had in a (living room) teashop in Peasmarsh, East Sussex back in 1992. That's how good it was!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm lucky that my little Victorian Canadian village has a proper tea house and I know of a few more within a stone's throw. Surely, Britain must rally and restore the balance to its former glory!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hurrah! Though I am not anti-coffee per se - only anti-hideous-so-called-'coffee'-chains. If they brought back tea rooms as a franchise concept I would WEEP.

    We have rather a nice little tea/coffee room near us actually - Louis Patisserie in Hampstead, has been going since the 60s and is absolutely marvellous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've nominated you for an award: http://obsessive-jenny.blogspot.com/2010/11/one-lovely-blog-award-x-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thrilled to hear about this. A similar trend is going on here in the states.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there, type something! I enjoy reading all friendly and positive comments.

Followers

Popular Posts