Tuesday 25 February 2014

A pattern emerges

Readers may recall the massive knitting pattern haul that mater scored at the last vintage fair we both went to back in December.  Two 20-plus page booklets dating from the late 1930s chock full to the brim with knitting patterns for man, woman and child!  Mother took copies of a couple to get started and the books now reside with me for further patterns to be selected at will.

I'm pleased to announce the first garment has been completed!  It's not the one you might have expected, though.  Despite there being several covetable men's pullover patterns, mother's prerogative (quite right too!) meant the first pattern to be knitted up was one of the ladies' jumpers. 


The pattern of choice was taken from the second booklet, the "My Weekly" supplement.  Not sharing such an innate love of the period as myself, mater selected one of the more timeless designs - the "Two-Colour Jumper with a Yoke in Moss-Stitch". 


Since knitting terminology is still a bit beyond me, mother explains: "Instead of making separate pieces [as per the original pattern] I completed the cast off on the front piece but then picked up the number of stitches required from the yoke and just knitted it up from that, then it was not necessary for me to stitch it on separately.  Then I adjusted the pattern accordingly, making the sleeves quarter-length, shortening the body [mater suffers the same short body-long legs problem as I - albeit shorter!] and added the knitted flower to the neckline."

The original pattern also called for two shades of green but, of course, colour choice can vary according to preference and mater decided on a simple grey and black that only adds to the timelessness.  She very graciously offered to model the finished article for inclusion on this blog so without further ado I give you the updated Two-Colour Jumper with a Yoke in Moss-Stitch:


So taken was she with the style and general ease of knit of this particular pattern (being used to more modern patterns with varying size instructions mum did note the need to adjust the needle size to account for any differences - most of the patterns being for a 32-34" bust - and she remains very much amused that there are patterns for "the matron" and "the bigger woman" - the latter still only 38" under the arms!) mother is already knitting another in a pink colourway.  After that I am assured a men's jumper or cardigan from a pattern of my choice will be next on the list, and I look forward to featuring it on here as well!

6 comments:

  1. Timelessly lovely sweater. I like it in grey and suspect I would adore it in pink, that being my all-time favourite hue. How delightful that you and her can both enjoy these patterns together. It will be exciting to see which springs to life from her knitting needles for your own wardrobe.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! I might try and persuade mum to model the pink one as well when it's done - I'd certainly be interested to see the difference to this black/grey one. Mother does so enjoy knitting - she's always got at least one thing on the go - and that's all to the good as far as I'm concerned (although the grandchildren/herself/stepdad vie for stuff as well)! I like to think I've passed on some of my enthusiasm for the [men's] knitteds of the period, though!

      Delete
  2. That's jolly nice! Picking up for the yoke is a good idea - I like sewing up knitting, but even so it's too much of a faff some days, and many knitters really hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (I hope you got my other comment; it might have been eaten!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did I miss this? What a haul, you lucky things! The finished item looks lovely and the colour combinations work well together. The 'Matron' sizes amuse me also as I'm in that size category too...

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there, type something! I enjoy reading all friendly and positive comments.

Followers

Popular Posts