Monday 17 October 2011

Victorian kitchen found untouched at Cefn Park, Wrexham

Victorian kitchen found untouched at Cefn Park, Wrexham

This has been sitting in my draft folder for weeks (and yet I haven't seen it anywhere else, but all the better for me!) so it's rather old news - although you could say that everything I blog about is "old" news(!).

Still, it's nothing compared with how long this 19th Century kitchen has lain unused in the old Wrexham house featured in this news story.  The thrill of finding all those culinary items that hadn't seen the light of day for at least 70 years must have been immense, not to mention the general surprise that the owners would have felt having grown up there without ever realising this amazing room even existed.

It's a fantastic window into the world "below stairs" one hundred years ago and it almost seems a shame that the renovation is going ahead, rather than the room being left as a kind of time capsule, although I'm sure that the work will be sympathetic to the original kitchen.  I'm not sure I'd fancy cooking 19th Century-style anyway, if I'm honest!

Nevertheless, it's another wonderful story about an interesting historical discovery which proves, if nothing else, that there are these untouched gems still out there to be uncovered.

4 comments:

  1. It's amazing, isn't it? What a surprise it must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read about that but no one in my household was all that impressed! I think it's amazing and glad to see others do too. I wonder if someday they will unearth MY kitchen, it's practically untouched already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How utterly wonderful, it must have been such a suprise for those who found it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This kitchen has large windows to the outside. How was it undiscovered for this long?

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there, type something! I enjoy reading all friendly and positive comments.

Followers

Popular Posts