Wednesday 18 November 2009

The race to build a 1000 mph car - tech - 18 November 2009 - New Scientist

The race to build a 1000 mph car - tech - 18 November 2009 - New Scientist

This will probably be my last post for today and, by Jove, what a busy day it has been, blog-wise. I really think I'm beginning to get the hang of this, you know.

Staying with the motoring theme, albeit this time to its absolute extreme. Since Andy Green in Thrust SSC broke the sound barrier on land back in August 1997, the target now is the magic four figures - 1,000 miles per hour. Can it be done? I've been following the progress of the British entry for the Land Speed Record, Bloodhound SSC, for some time now and I do so hope they are successful and keep the record in British hands. That's not to say I don't welcome the competition from America and Australia. As any engineer will tell you, competition is a sure-fire way of ensuring that a machine is as highly-developed as possible. It all adds to the excitement of the contest too - who will be the first to set a new record?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't just sit there, type something! I enjoy reading all friendly and positive comments.

Followers

Popular Posts