Wednesday 18 November 2009

Lincoln's letter to boy on sale

Lincoln's letter to boy on sale

Here we have an interesting piece of history that is also a reminder never to take things lying down. I had a similar experience once (well, not exactly similar, I didn't meet the President of the United States, then get him to write me a letter so I could subsequently prove it). I was arguing with a group of friends over an astronomical matter back in 1994 (namely what effect the comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 would have on Jupiter when they collided, as they did) and in order to back up my assertion that Jupiter would not "explode" (a view which, somewhat bizarrely, I seemed to be alone amongst my peers in holding) I wrote to the Royal Observatory at Greenwich, who vindicated me. You see the analogy though, I hope? Here, wake up at the back there!

Anyway, the moral of the story, I suppose, is that if you truly believe in something, you should always fight your corner. There's always someone out there willing to help, and it doesn't take much just to write to them. You never know what luck a letter may bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't just sit there, type something! I enjoy reading all friendly and positive comments.

Followers

Popular Posts