Wednesday 26 May 2010

Arthur Conan Doyle's debut 'to make £400,000'

Arthur Conan Doyle's debut 'to make £400,000'

Some of you may have noticed that my blogger name is a nod towards this man's greatest creation (and this story in particular, one of my favourites), so I was interested to read of this first edition coming up for auction. Alas I cannot stretch to £400k, so I will just have to make do with my Illustrated Strand Collections facsimile. No matter!
Once again we see the rarity value of such an item increase the price. Only two signed copies in existence and a fascinating historical insight into this enduring character's creation and first appearance. It is bound to be of interest to the moneyed Holmesian. Whether it will truly make as much as predicted we shall have to see, but there is no doubting its value as an item of cultural significance. Whoever it ends up with and however much they pay for it, I have no doubt that it will be in safe hands and fully appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it will be interesting to see if the current economy impacts the sale of this incredible item. For those interested in more details and photos about it or the other 31 known copies, see my Checklist and Census of Beeton's Christmas Annual 1887.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there, type something! I enjoy reading all friendly and positive comments.

Followers

Popular Posts